World Liver Day; 5 habits and 5 foods that will bless you with a healthy liver
19th April is observed worldwide as World Liver Day to raise awareness about the health and wellbeing of our livers. Liver is a vital organ of our body whose function is to help in digesting our food and to get rid of the toxins in our body. It is absolutely important to keep the liver healthy for longevity.
5 habits that will naturally detox your liver
- Limiting junk food: Eating highly processed food has been known to damage our livers as it contains high amount of sodium and other harmful flavor enhancing substances.
- Adding more fiber to your diet: Eating a lot of fruits and vegetables can help detox our livers as they contain a lot of fiber which aids in better digestion.
- Limiting alcohol intake: Alcohol causes a fatal disease called liver cirrhosis in which the liver is scarred and permanently damaged.
- Getting a good night’s sleep: Liver detoxes itself when we are asleep. Poor sleeping habits or insufficient sleep can cause further damage to our livers.
- Maintaining weight: Obesity can cause the liver to accumulate fat, the condition known as fatty liver disease.
5 Foods that will keep your liver healthy
- Nuts: Nuts are high in healthy fats and anti-oxidants, eating a handful of nuts daily has been associated with lesser risk of liver disease.
- Grapes: grapes have a lot of health benefits; they contain plant compounds such as resveratrol which help in protecting the liver and reducing inflammation.
- Beet root: Beet contains antioxidants and nitrates such as betalains, which can help keep our liver and heart health optimal.
- Berries: Blueberries cranberries strawberries contain a lot of anthocyanins, a type of antioxidant that gives berries their colors. They’ve also been linked to many health benefits, and are especially helpful in keeping liver healthy.
- Tea and coffee:Studies suggest that coffee consumption can help to reduce the risk of cirrhosis. Coffee prevents the buildup of collagen and fat. Coffee also increases antioxidants and reduces inflammation. Drinking herbal or green tea is also beneficial for the liver as they contain high amounts of antioxidants, according to studies.